Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have numerous scientific advancements and brand-new strategies emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the chance to reduce or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by expensive ads about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your physician will not tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the basics figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the click here to read danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than expert care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and Learn More other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless individuals around the globe.